New pet in family, so much of excitement to all, everyone want to take it in their lap, wants attention of new tiny paw, wants to touch it & love it (specially the kids) …………….Wait!!!........please control your emotions…..you all are stranger to that new tiny pup- recently separated from its dearest mom & family.
A new pup usually very susceptible and get stressed to new place, new people & lot of rush. That sweet cute pup needs proper welcome in your home.it should feel as it is in its own place. You have to do some planning in advance whenever you want a pet.
- Puppy proofing: It means you have to make your house free from or out of reach to puppy, anything that can harm your puppy. As like child, pup too unaware of many things. He will try to explore everything, whichever comes in its way due to curiosity.
- Proper bedding & living place. Its bedding and living place should be decided and it should not be changed frequently as pets usually mark its domain. Bed should be in quite place and suitable both for summer and winter. For summer thin rug is enough and in winter blanket should be there.
- A new puppy needs love & affection. Please take it in your lap and show affection when it come first time at your place so that it feel warmth of your lap and feel safe at new place.
- Control others not to create chaos of handling him. First stabilize your little pup in your home.
Above points are of utmost importance, your new puppy, after traveling long distance, separated from its family and at new place, will be highly stressed. Give her cozy warmth of your lap and affectionately pat it. Free it to on its own to discover your home for a while.
When we took muffin first time in our home, she explored the room then lied down below sofa…then came near to my feet and slept comfortably in between my feet. She herself accepted us as her parent.
Puppy is like kids and deserves same love as of kids. You are like god for them and they depends only on you for everything. Its feeding schedule will be well planned and no slackness is acceptable. It is such a small and susceptible that it can’t hold energy for long time. So it should be feed in each 2-3 hours gap. Random and table scrap feeding is not recommended otherwise it will develop health problem as well as it will develop habits of always demanding food from you. Prepare a strict schedule of feeding for a whole day. Better to feed it at the same place so that it can locate that place.
Point to be remembered:
- Initially feed him same food as was given in breeders place. Then slowly switch to other food.
- Prepare feeding schedule. Feed 2-3 hours gap then slowly increase the gap to 4-5 hours along with quantity of feed. Adult dog should be fed 2 times daily.
- Never feed table scrap and left overs.
- Never overfeed.
- If feed was not consumed within 20 minutes of serving discard it.
- Clean its utensils on each serving.
One amazing thing about our pooches, they used to leave some amount of food in their bowl. We taught them “finish” command. Now after listening that command they don’t leave anything.
It is better to house trained your tiny pup early. It will firmly engrave in its mind where to do and what to do. Decide a designated place for its relieving.
- Puppy should be relieved whenever they awake. Move it to its designated place.
- After meal it should be taken to designated place.
- In the night it should be urinated 2-3 times so that its bladder not loaded.
- Puppy used to start moving in circle whenever they want to relieve.
To start early may help in making its habit not to panic later on. Puppy usually reluctant to bath and grooming activity so please praise him in the whole grooming process.
- Initially for one month it should not be bath. only sponz bath should be given if required.
- Give bath in warm water and keep arrangement of drying it.
- Comb if required- for long haired breed.
- Check its eyes, ear, nails, foot pads and anal portion regularly.
Toys and playing stuff.
Same as kid they too want to play. This will also help in overall growth of that little one.
- Chewable toys as well as squeaky toys should be available with him.
- Avoid choking hazard type toys as puppy want to take each in their mouth.
- Keep changing their toys.
- You too play with him.
- Give daily walk.
|Sammy with her toy|
Vaccination & medication and deworming: Very important for beginners.
- Fix its vaccination schedule with help of your vet. Puppies are most susceptible to infections.
- Whenever you feel any change in activeness or loss of health immediately seek help of vet. Otherwise it may be too late in case of puppy.
- Proper deworming should be done. For initially six month deworming done in each 15 days later on in month is sufficient.
Starts early will definitely help in developing a gentle and obedient pup. Our muffin was trained early by us. Please see her video. She is just five month old.
- Keep encouraging.
- Give treat whenever perform well.
- Repeat training 2 times daily for 15 minutes.
- Never frustrate on pup it will sense your frustration. Whenever feel frustration leave that training. Start later on.
- Keep patience.
It is of utmost important for your little one and for yourself too.
- Its bedding should be clean properly.
- Flea and tick treatment should be done.
- Utensils and toys should be cleaned regularly.
- Wash your hand whenever you play or handle your little one.
- Wash its face whenever it finishes its food and also dry its face.
Always remember: For teaching, it needs encouragement so please never forget to praise whenever your pooch does a good job.
Please feel free to comment if I missed anything. Your experience sharing will help other pet lovers.